Sunday 22 July 2012

Suprised!!!

Often, teachers teach the way they were taught by memorizing formulas and equations. Although I am the believer of hands-on activity and reasoning out with children but when come to Maths I thought this formula has made up without knowing the reason behind it. SURPRISE!!! Unlock by Dr Yeap and thanks to him, now I know that it is important to bring variations into the picture.

I remember there was a quiz question which we need to write the word problem for the fraction. I do not know the logic behind when being asked and is unable to explain the word problem. I was thinking and everything became clearer and easy to understand after concrete materials were used to explain the problem.

"Mathematics consists in proving the most obvious thing in the least obvious way." George Polya

"But in the new (math) approach, the important thing is to understand what you're doing, rather than to get the right answer." Tom Lehrer

No comments:

Post a Comment